See what our members are up to on Flickr!
Art Dolls Only on Flickr - View this group's photos on Flickriver

Search This Site

10.20.2012

Member Spotlight: Tracey-anne McCartney

Welcome to Art Dolls Only's Member SPOTLIGHT!
ADO shares an article focusing on it's members on the 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th, 25th and 30th of each month! (February's 30th installment will share on the 28th)
Today's spotlight is our doll maker,  Miss Tracey-anne McCartney!!
Tracey-anne is located in London, UK

Please enjoy her interview and take a moment to get to know TRACEY-ANNE! 
What kind of Art Dolls do you create?
I usually create folk story art dolls; they tend to have a story from a distant past.  Below is Bluebell, she plays in ancient forests. Next to her are Frances and Elsie, the two cousins of the Cottingley fairy tale in the UK.
What is your primary medium? Clay
How long have you been a doll maker? Two years
How did you get your start in doll making?
I have a creative background, from interior design to Papier Mache and while researching on the net I stumbled across ‘Art Dolls’. I liked the way artists were able to use clay, cloth, wood as a canvas for art!
Where did you learn to make dolls?
Initially I saw an advert for an online class with Jane DesRosier ‘Gritty Jane’– cloth and clay doll making. Later I joined Nancye Williams in her online folk doll class, then Dixie Redmond for an online re-production Izannah doll class. They are all amazingly, talented women.
 
Has your practice change over time?
Yes, it has been a wonderful growth experience. I am working on a very large art rag, type doll at present. It is completely different to my other dolls in the sense of techniques used. We all grow from the basic structure of doll construction; this is a part of being an artist, and then we incorporate our own ideas and transform the original concept into our own style/ interpretations – developing our own stamp/niche.
What art do you most identify with?
I really like the idea of spreading love, re-building, healing and the re-telling of old folk/ancient lore via art. So I would say art that resonates/speaks to me in these areas, be it a painting, sketch, textiles or doll. It does not matter what form the art takes.
What food, drink, song inspires you?
Can I please mention three? Thank you!
Here we go, it has to be - firstly: Into the west by Annie Lennox. This melody carries me away to another time and place, beautiful. Secondly: I Giorni by Ludovico Einaudi. Last but not least: Yeha Noha - Sacred Spirit (Wishes of Happiness - Native American). Such beautiful melodies…I sigh ;0)
Drink, one guess being that I am from the UK…Tea! ;0)  
Hmmm food: Definitely my incredible mums - lentil savory, yum!
What’s the best piece of advice you’ve been given?Never give up! YOU are an artist :0)
What is your dream project?
Hmm being a part of a very special event, such as ‘donate a doll for charity’. It would be a perfect opportunity for artists to promote their talents; and to give; sending a special gift of a doll they have made to help raise funds, for a good, non-profitable organization.
Where can our fans find you on line?
Blog: http://jasmoonbutterfly.blogspot.com
Website: http://jasmoonbutterfly.moonfruit.com

5 comments:

  1. Great to know more about you, Tracey-anne. I love the photo of the first doll.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to learn a bit more about you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi all ;0) Thank you so much x I can not wait to read about everyone ...how exciting! Hugs & love Wilma & sassypackrat xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are beautifully talented as an artist and as a person...I love your idea as making dolls for charity....your dolls are awesome!!

    ReplyDelete